Milorganite Spreader Settings
First, select the right spreader for your yard—drop or broadcast.
Fertilize with Milorganite four (4) times per year, for more information on rates and schedule.
If your spreader model is not listed here, please go to How to calibrate a spreader for instructions (six easy steps) to ensure Milorganite is applied at the proper rate. As always, you have the peace of mind that comes with knowing that Milorganite won't burn.
See below for application tips and step by step instructions on how to fertilizer your lawn.
|Rotary Spreader||Established Lawn||New Lawn|
|ACE Green Turf Delux||19||19 (2 passes)|
|Agway||19||19 (2 passes)|
|Earthway EV-N-Spred (most models)||19||19 (2 passes)|
|Fertilome||19||19 (2 passes)|
|Green Thumb||19||19 (2 passes)|
|Lawn Crafter (Quaker)||5||5 (2 passes)|
|Precision||9||9 (2 passes)|
|Red Devil||17||17 (2 passes)|
|Republic EZ||14||14 (2 passes)|
|Republic EZ Grow||11 ( 2 passes)||11 (4 passes)|
|Scotts Basic, Delux Edge Control & Speedy Green series||11.5||11.5 (2 passes)|
|Scotts Easy Green||29||29 (2 passes)|
|Scotts EdgeGuard (Pro, Mini), Lawn Pro & Standard||11.5||11.5 (2 passes)|
|Southern States||19||19 (2 passes)|
2 passes = Divide your application in half and go over the same area twice, for a more uniform application.
Tip: When using a broadcast (rotary) spreader divide the spreader setting in half and apply in two directions (north to south and then east to west) to get more even coverage. Note: Spreader settings are to be used as a guide and will vary according to the rate you walk and the mechanical condition of the spreader. For best results, calibrate your spreader.
For information regarding spreader settings for Professional 50 lb bags, visit our Professional Homeowner Settings page.
|Drop Spreader||Established Lawn||New Lawn|
|Lawn Crafter (Quaker)||8||13|
|Republic EZ Grow||8||11|
|Scotts Accu Green series (1000,2000,3000)||10||16|
Tip: When using a drop spreader overlap the wheel tracks.
Note: Spreader settings are to be used as a guide and will vary according to the rate you walk and the mechanical condition of the spreader. For best results, calibrate your spreader.
|Established Lawn||2,500 sq ft per 32 lb bag|
|New Lawn||1,250 sq ft per 32 lb bag|
|Weight Conversion||3 cups Milorganite = 1 pound|
Spreader settings are to be used as a guide and will vary according to the rate you walk and the mechanical condition of the spreader. For best results, calibrate your spreader.
Application Tips for Fertilizing a Lawn:
- Always use a lawn spreader. NEVER spread product by hand!
- Mow your lawn before fertilizing.
- Close the spreader hopper before adding product.
- Fill the hopper on a drive or walkway to avoid over application, particularly important for herbicides and synthetic fertilizers which can burn your lawn.
- Sweep up any product that falls on hard surfaces to avoid it washing into waterways.
- If you accidentally dump Milorganite on your lawn, gather what you can then use a stiff broom is spread what remains.
- Walk at a steady pace. You’re an important part of the distribution rate equation. The slower you walk the more product will be distributed, and less is distributed when you walk faster. That’s one of the reasons application rates can vary.
- Drop spreaders: overlap wheel marks to ensure even coverage and avoid unfertilized stripes.
- First, apply a header strip—two overlapping passes—of fertilizer around the perimeter of your lawn for easier turns.
- Start along the longest edge of your lawn.
- Close the spreader off when making turns to avoid uneven application.
- After a turn, start walking before opening the spreader.
- Apply 50% of product in one direction and the other 50% in the opposite direction (north to south and east to west) to help ensure even coverage. Do this by reducing your spreader setting by half.
- Avoid spreading product on windy days so product stays where you want it.
- Clean your spreader after each use.
- Follow manufacturers’ guidelines for lubricating, cleaning, and storing your spreader.